UPDATE ON COPYRIGHT LAWS OF UAE
The beauty of copyright laws is, it protects you and offers you the opportunity to honor another. The Executive Regulations for UAE Copyright and neighboring laws consists of 20 Articles do the same. These regulations came into force on May 14th 2022. The Cabinet of Ministers resolution No. 47 of 2022 of Federal Law No. 38 of 2021 relating to copyright and neighboring rights published in the gazette on may 13th, 2022.
Some excerpts from the new Executive Regulation are written below, but first you should know what is copyright? It is a type of intellectual property that protects original work of authorship like literary work, song, movie etc. from unauthorized duplication or use.
Points to be remembered from the new regulations!
- DOCUMENTS: The application will be cancelled if the applicant has not submitted the documents and information requested within 60 days from the date of receiving the Ministry’s notification.
- APPEAL: An appeal can be filed before the Grievance committee in relation to any rejection decision within 30days from the date of notification of the same decision.
- COPYING-LICENSE: A license can be obtained for copying or translation for a protected work by applying to the Ministry. The conditions which will govern the compulsory licensing are laid down under Article 9(for copying) and 10(for translation).
- FUTURE RIGHTS: Now, the disposal of future rights has been increased to 10 works which was 5 works earlier.
- SHIPMENT STOPPAGE: The custom authorities may on their own or on request of the right owner can stop the clearance of a shipment for 20 days if the material is in violation of the law. These regulations of Custom Authorities shall apply to inspection, conditions and procedure, and custom release.
BSB Legal consultants have the best legal compliance and copyright lawyers in Dubai who will relieve you from hassle of getting the procedural work and documentation done. We, the best law firm in UAE, will provide you with the best representation possible. For legal services and consultation contact us at email@example.com or call us at +97150 8014003.