EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES AT EXPO 2020 AND WORKER POLICY
The organisation of a world level event in the time of pandemic is a testimony of the fact that UAE handled the pandemic really well. Approximately 93% of the country’s population has been vaccinated and it is a completely safe destination for the people to travel and become a part of this mega event.
Expo 2020: Worker Welfare Policy
It is a world class event which is meticulously planned to set new boundaries and records. The interest of all the stakeholders are given due priority and this includes ensuring the highest standards of worker welfare. In the Expo, world class policies, standards and processes are implemented to ensure worker’s health, safety and well being. Further, the employment policies are designed keeping in mind the various workers friendly provisions provided under the Federal law no. (8) of 1980 (UAE Employment Law). It is ensured that all the requirements provided under the law should be duly met.
Principles of Policy
The worker Policy of this Mega event is based on 10 principles which are inspired from international guidance on workers’ rights including the International Labour Organisation (ILO) and United Nations (UN). These principles are as follows-
- To ensure free and fair recruitment
- To ensure that workers also understand the terms and conditions of employment agreement.
- To treat all the employees equally and without discrimination.
- To protect and preserve the dignity of employees, and not tolerating harassment or abuse of any kind.
- To respect the right of employees to retain their personal documents
- To pay employees’ wages and benefits on time and in full
- To allow employees freedom to exercise their in-country legal rights without fear of reprisal.
- To provide a safe and healthy working and living environment
- To provide access to grievance mechanisms and remediation
- To ensure that bonded, indentured, forced or child labour is not used.
Further, the UAE Employment law provides various work permits and visa options to allow and encourage part time workers to find suitable and flexible work opportunities at the Expo 2020. However, the law prescribes certain conditions that must be fulfilled for getting a part time work permit. These conditions are as follows-
- The sponsor company must issue a No Objection Certificate (NOC) for the same.
- The employee should obtain a new part time work permit from the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MOHRE).
- The interested employee must fall in the age group of 18-65 years.
The Expo 2020 is a brilliant opportunity for the full time as well as the part time workers, given the large number of spectators arriving at this mega event. The worker policy is in consonance with the international standards, and it clearly depicts that UAE wants to leave no stone unturned in making its mark in the global arena.